Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day of Reckoning...

Today is Election Day. There are some possible seat changes coming in my town. I always feel funny going to vote. You walk in and are greeted by some interesting people. Some are nice as pie and others make you want to walk right back out the door. There is usually a random person who directs you to the available booth and asks you if you have done this before. Even if I hadn't, I'm pretty sure I would figure out how to pull a lever. Anyway, I did my duty today and I feel indifferent.

Apparently, Jodie Sweetin (Stephanie Tanner) on the late '80's hit TV show 'Full House' has a new book out. It goes into great detail about her drug/booze addiction following the end of 'Full House'. Now, I don't know if many people would care and that goes for any celebrity or quasi-celebrity. Everyone has drank too much or had a period of their life where they binged kinda, sorta hard. Most people have experimented with drugs of some sort. Does this mean they should go write a book about a time in their life when they went to Clubs/Parties, drank and smoked some dope one Summer way back? I don't think people would care about a book that I wrote telling of the same tales. Maybe they would...I don't know. The point is, I don't think that is news. Most child stars after the show they stared in has ran its course has gone on the very same binge. People drink, people do drugs and then people write books.

Man, does Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel have an interesting dilemma, if this World Series should go seven games. If they stave off elimination tomorrow night in NY and force a Game 7, due up to pitch for the Phils would be their enigmatic lefty, Cole Hamels. Last year's World Series MVP and this years headache. After getting shelled in Game 3 in which he lasted only 4 1/3 innings while surrendering five runs, he went on record as saying "I can’t wait for [the season] to end. It’s been mentally draining. At year end, you just can’t wait for a fresh start." As you can imagine, that struck a few of his teammates the wrong way, most notably Brett Myers. After last night's game, Myers walked past Hamels and said "What are you doing here? I thought you quit.", to which Hamels replied with an unknown expletive. Either way, Manuel will make the wrong choice. If he by-passes last year's World Series MVP Hamels because of his apparent ambivalence towards this Season, he gets roasted. If he chooses to go with someone new, a la J.A. Happ, he gets roasted for starting someone who has yet to throw a pitch in this Series over a proven starter. I would not want to be Charlie Manuel if this Series goes to a seventh game. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment