Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Discretion

It seems that with the exceptional growth of social networking sites that privacy has pretty much gone out the window. The amount of information out there about ourselves is overwhelming and downright scary at times. So, why add to that by putting up so much information about yourself in your status updates? It's almost as if the filter that we engage in real life around strangers is thrown to the wayside online. Status updates that include your upcoming vacation, duration of said vacation and where you hide your spare key are becoming the norm and are done without hesitation. Sensitive information about your personal lives, such as how awful your husband/wife is or how rough your divorce proceeding was today are just not meant for the internet world. I'm sure that there are at least a few people on your friends list that you don't know oh that well. Maybe one or two that you accepted, just to accept. You never know who is watching your profile. I, personally, like to post observations, quotes and random tasks that I have already performed. It does surprise me at times how care-free people are about sensitive information when it comes to updating their cyber-life. I choose to be private about my personal life both in reality and on social networking sites and that is just fine by me.

Tonight, Pedro Martinez pitches in what should be an epic battle between two Playoff proven pitchers. Love him or hate him, he is one of the greatest pitchers of our generation. One of the greatest pitchers of all-time. A generation of great pitchers have come and gone during our adult lives. Maddux, Clemens, Johnson, Schilling, Glavine have all left the game to enjoy hitting out of a sand trap in some desert region Golf Course. All (except "Roid Man" himself, Roger Clemens, will make the Hall of Fame). Pedro Martinez was probably the most dominant and most exciting of the aforementioned pitchers. Not only with his pitching, but his personality, which over the years has rubbed many fans the wrong way. I know that Yankee fans will never say anything good about him or acknowledge just how great he was in his prime, but you cannot say for a second that you wouldn't have wanted him winning 17-20 games every year for your team while striking out roughly 290 hitters every year. Tonight may be the last time we see Pedro Martinez, one of the greatest pitchers of all-time pitch in a big game on the big stage. I don't love him nor do I hate him. I am a fan of the game and tonight may very well be the last time that I get to see him pitch a huge game, such as Game 6 of the World Series. The fan in me wants to see him pitch really well and walk off on his own terms, so that the fan in me can remember where I was when I saw unarguably the greatest pitcher of my generation throw his last meaningful pitch in what has been one stellar career. Enjoy and hope for snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment